Monday, May 2, 2016

The Seven Last Words of Jesus

The Seven Last Words of Jesus

Scripture Luke 23
From the time  our saviour was nailed to the cross to the moment He breathed His last, Jesus uttered seven sentences from the cross in what has become known as His Seven Last Words.

If I had a chance and I was on my deathbed to tell those I loved most, those I perhaps I was giving my life for, the thing I wanted them to get, the testament I wanted to leave them, this is it right here.

Our Lords last will and testament is a magnificent treasure given not only to those who stood beneath the Cross but to us also.
The First Word:
“Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they’re doing.”  (Luke 23:34)
Father forgive them, forgive who?
The Jews who cried out crucify him that is who.
The Roman Governor Pilate who gave into the lies and blackmail and condemned Jesus to death.
The Romans soldiers forgive them, the ones who scourged him and mocked him and beat him and drove a Crown of Thorns into His head and nailed Him to the Cross.
Forgive them Father.
And Father forgive us, for our sins together with the sins of the entire world was why your son is your son came and died.
Our sins put Him on the Cross.
Sin nailed Him to the cross and love held him there.
St Paul wrote “None of the rulers of this age understood this; for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory” (1 Cor 2:8)
The Second Word:
“I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”  (Luke 23:43)
How incredible.
Who could make such a statement?
If I said that to someone “today you will be with me in paradise” , they might say right back what makes you think you will be in paradise?
Only God can know the future of the soul.
What good did the repentant thing to do?
He believed and he knew he was a sinner and cast himself into the arms of mercy.
If there is anyone who teaches us that it is not too late to come to Jesus, it is the thief on the cross.
It is never too late.
The Fourth Word:
“My God, my God, Why have you forsaken me?”  (Mark 15:34) 


What our Lord does here is beautiful
Jesus wants to trigger the memory of his people Israel
Jesus practically recited Psalm 22 the song of King David
It is King David's lament over the future of his people
It is a prayer of an innocent man a man who is faithful
Who suffers because of his faithfulness

Jesus is saying to Israel "Remember I am King David's son
I am the son of David
I am the true king of Israel.
It's me


It was the son of David who would come to be the Messiah
Every Jew knows that, if they know their faith
The Messiah had to be the son of David
That is why I am reciting David's prayer


The Fifth Word:
“I thirst”  (John 19:28) 

On the cross Jesus said I thirst


Every single thing uses is done on the cross is to fulfil prophecy
Jesus was hanging on the cross for hours
But that is not why you said I am thirst

Jesus was hoping that Israel would recall another Psalm - Psalm 69
David wrote and for my first they gave me vinegar to drink

The Seventh Word:
“Into thy hand I commend my spirit”  (Luke 23:46) 

Even with his last breath Jesus quoted Psalm 31

Some say it is from this Psalm that we get the Jewish bedtime prayer
Now we say "Here I lay me down to sleep I pray to God my soul to keep"


How many clues do you need?

Source: Gospel of Luke Bible Study - Reason For Our Hope by Rosalind Moss – EWTN

I don't think I have transcribed it all. Sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment