Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Simon Helps Jesus Carry his Cross

FIFTH STATION – Simon Helps Jesus Carry his Cross
Scripture
They seized one Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, and laid on him the cross, to carry it behind Jesus.


Meditation
Via Crucis (the ‘Way’ or ‘Stations’ of the Cross) is a series of meditations reflecting on the journey of Jesus Christ to his Crucifixion at Calvary. Many artists and writers have produced works of art or written thoughts on Via Crucis and, for what it's worth, a contemporary piece, written from the perspective of a journalist present on that Good Friday, is published below.
I thought that was me there.
Jesus was wobbling, and a group of soldiers came towards us and pointed to a man, two away from me.
His name is Simon, a commuter returning to Cyrene, and he was enlisted to help Jesus carry the cross.
I'm not sure how I would have felt if they had asked me.
I don't feel as if I want to carry the cross. It looks too painful and I am, to be honest, scared.
Yet, I want to help Jesus, because this is such a sad incident, and, in a way I feel as if I am every bit as guilty as this dead man walking.

What's more, if I share the pain with Jesus, I will get to know him better.

And not just because my editor would be delighted at scooping this ‘final interview’, but I would learn so much from the experience.
Only by sharing in Jesus' pain can we share in his wonder.

Source: Larne Parish - Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment