Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Proverbs 30:8-9 What We Really Want

Proverbs 30:8-9
Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, "Who is the LORD?" or lest I be poor, and steal, and profane the name of my God.

Luke 9:2-3
and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal. And he said to them, "Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics.

Comment - What We Really Want

I'm glad we're walking the middle line,'' my husband recently told me. ''We have enough to provide for our needs, but little enough to keep us humble.''

I think he well understood the sentiments of today's proverb: ''Give me neither poverty nor riches; provide me only with the food I need.''

That's not to say we don't have times of want.
The temptation to want more is the plague of our society. Advertisements lure us to fancier phones, classier clothes, sportier cars.

We respond to this because in each of us, there is a longing for something more.
Something better.

That's because ''more'' and ''better'' are indeed our destiny.
But not on earth.
If we stop trying to capture them here, we can spend our time preparing to receive them in heaven.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to be content with whatever You choose to give me.


Source: My Daily Visitor Meditation www.osv.com

1 comment:

  1. Well said, I'm reading your interpretation while standing at another crossroad in my life. I'll follow God's path and feel good, wanting nothing more than God provides.

    ReplyDelete